Florida County Court Jurisdictional Changes
Source: Florida Courts
On January 1, 2020, changes in Florida state law and the Florida Rules of Procedure will go into effect, changing where a variety of court actions are heard.
- County court jurisdictional thresholds increase to $30,000 on January 1, 2020, and to $50,000 on January 1, 2023.
- Small claims cases on January 1, 2020, will include cases up to $8,000
- Filers will be required to include a civil cover sheet specifying the dollar amount in dispute in cases exceeding $8,000 in value.
- The new law maintains current rules that limits the provision of subsidized court mediation services to county court cases with an amount in controversy up to $15,000.
- State law provides that on January 1, 2020, appeals of county court orders or judgments with an amount in controversy greater than $15,000 will be heard by the district courts of appeal until January 1, 2023, when the provision repeals.
Informational videos and chart
What do changes to county court civil case dollar amounts mean for you? For the big picture, watch these videos.
A visual and text explanation of where cases originate and how they may proceed is below.